OK, I solved the somewhat strange problem. For some reason the kernel
installation added the "acpi=off" parameter to the lilo boot entry. (I
suspect that it might be the fact that I booted with the option acpi=off in
lilo into the session that i compiled and installed the kernel in). By the
way - is there a good way to exit reading a man page on the console (besides
the stupid <ctrl><z> command that I use now).

Thanks,
Sascha

On Monday 30 December 2002 07:20, Sascha Noyes wrote:
> I just recompiled and installed the cooker kernel on my laptop to take
> advantage of the power-management features. It's a newish laptop (presario
> 700), so PM is done entirely in ACPI. What I changed was the following:
>
> In processor type and features:
>
> change 586 to athlon
> change mobile athlon powernow! from module to activated
> turn APIC for uniprocessors off
>
> In general setup:
>
> turn PCI hotplug off
> change all ACPI features that are marked as 'm' to 'y'
> turn advanced power management BIOS support off
>

> However, when booting the new kernel ACPI does not seem to be functioning,
> there is not /proc/acpi folder and fan, processor are always running at
> 100%. Also acpid will not start because there is no /proc/acpi/event
> folder. Could it be that the system wants the ACPI features to be in
> modules. The steps for compiling the kernel were the following:
>
> make mrproper
> make xconfig
> make dep && make clean && make bzImage && make modules
> make modules_install && make install
>

> I had compiled from the vanilla kernel with the acpi patch applied, and
> everything worked, but I wanted the Mandrake kernel features as well (eg.
> supermount, PCMCIA support, etc.). And it should be said that with the
> default kernel I had to turn off acpi at boot (acpi=off), otherwise the
> boot would hang. Did I want too much? Any ideas?
>
> TIA,
> Sascha Noyes
>
> --
> Please encrypt all correspondence.