Jason'

An hd.img of the current Cooker should install fine, although sometimes some RPMs may not exist, and from time to time the Cooker installer itself is out of order. None of these appear to apply to your complaint.

Therefore I consider your problem is most likely to be a defective download somewhere - especially since you make no mention of how you assured youself that all downloads were good, which is something essential to do.

After you have used fmirror -R to correct the timestamps on all your downloaded Mandrake files, use

rsync -av -H -P --progress --stats <remotemirror/> <localmirror/>

to download the cooker tree all over again. Used like this, rsync will only download and patch in the differences between files on the server and your local mirror of them, so is very quick. If this rsync run shows any problems, run it again immediately until the download is clean (nothing further has been changed). Then you can rest assured that your mirror is exactly identical with the server, and your Cooker install should run perfectly and the resulting installation should run perfectly.

To assist in this download procedure, a few of us have got together and produced an even faster Mandrake-downloading perl script which does all of the above, and more, which is available free (GPL licence) from my web site below as a pro bono public service.

Please advise here whether this solves all your problems.

Jason wrote:
Now, my problem. I have tried upgrading to the latest cooker from 9.0 several ways, all of them failing miserably. Maybe you all can help. First I tried a basic freshen but too manu deps to fill. So I tried rpmdrake. I have ALL of the latest RPMS and RPMS2 rpms downloaded and configured as urpmi sources. So, I tried to upgrade a few packages at a time starting with drakxtools etc. No matter how few or many packages I choose, it starts to install and then abruptly fails and says "installation failed, some files are missing, you may want to update your sources database". Bah, I've done that!! I also tried individual rpm upgrades (via kpackage) with no success (except for the kernel and makedev which upgraded fine).
--
Ron. [Melbourne, Australia]
Updated rsync.exclude now available for Fastest Mandrake downloader (English-only) from: