To get a functional samba server setup (and I mean a decent one), all
one has to do is:

1)Change the workgroup (this can be done with the samba drakwizard). The
drakwizard tells you the next step, which is to
2)assign an smbpasswd for the users

Unfortunately there is no easy way (besides linuxconf, which I don't
like, and webmin, which has weird ways of doing this) to do that easily.

userdrake already sets linux passwords, can it be amended to set smb
passwords (smbpasswd -a <user> <password> would work, but not so secure,
 I don't know if there are better ways).

Then, the wizard could tell you to set it in userdrake, and we would
have pretty seamless setup.

(We still need a replacement for chkauth, since it would be cool to be
able to setup pam_smbpass, which would change the user's smbpasswd
whenever they changed their linux password ..).

Even better would be the ability to set the user's smbpasswd in LDAP,
but that would also require adding a few more attributes.

I am sure some other features (mail settings etc) for LDAP would be
appreciated too, since most tools for LDAP, such as gq, aren't user
managers, but glorified ldapsearch/ldapadd/ldapmodify (ie you need to
know the entire schema to use them). But I guess that since some
operations wouldn't be available without LDAP it's not too necessary.

If someone want more details on how to accomplish the LDAP side, let me
know ..

Regards,
Buchan