Pixel wrote:

"John Danielson, II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

(which is what the login to KDE does) but DO go to the X-gui'd login. The
first 10 installs I made of Mandrake got wiped because the video settings for
X were scragged and I did not know how NOT to autoad KDE.

in the old recommended mode, it was that way when it was decided
"safe" to have X without asking.

Just perspective. Wish list for longer term-- ask if the user has used Linux
before first thing in install, then do certain things like forced\defaulted
gui'd login but not a force\default to desktop if answer is no, and be more
verbose about choices and logic for choosing if no or offer to show a tutorial
(and recommend seeing it) before installing.

the current trend is to remove the "recommended" install and have the
option to choose expert choices in the dialog boxes (using the
"Advanced" button).

alas, this change impacts quite a lot of things... hopefully in the
end there will be both freedom-of-choice and ease :-/

Actually, usually was able to get to the login if the X login was used-- it was a VESA video mode login. The problems I had came when the desktop manager did a mode and resolution shift (or X did) that caused a different pick from the refresh table, and the acceptable monitor ranges were out of bounds-- in one case, 2 KHz out of range for horizontal sync totally TRASHED display as the system load progressed and desktop inited.

Since one can get to console from the X login screen a few ways, one does not need the option to autoload a desktop at all in the installer, IMHO. Simply set the X login to a lower res and color depth that is VESA if the video test failed-- branch past that setting of res only IF the video test suceeded. most video cards still in use can handle 640x480x256 (8 Bit) color, so poke a default like that, overwrite\replace after video test suceeds. No video test, default to fail action. A lot of pre-1996 monitors have a lack of a good versatile 800x600x16 bit mode set, and those things last so long if well treated that there are lots of them handed down and in use.

Doing just that would eliminate the hardest thing for many newbies to grasp and work around-- video failure during boot(as THEY see it, boot ends when desktop is up and running).

I agree about the recommended part, but the basic assumptions need to be filled in if the advanced button is not selected and choices not completed through any needed choice testing. Default minimal until better tested, insofar as video goes. I would myself just change recommended to basic or SAFER.

John.