On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 22:00, Thierry Vignaud wrote:
> Quel Qun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Why can't we reopen a bug?
> >
> > I think hdparm should always be installed since /etc/rc.sysinit uses it
> > (line 1001),
>
> only if present. there're obviously tests.
>
> > and Mandrake specifically provides /etc/sysconfig/harddisk*
> > files for user defined optimization.
>
> here's some facts:
> - some users (you're one of them) want hdparm
> - hdparm is not required to bootstrap a mandrake linux system
> - minimal installed system should be as small as possible
>
> why do you want to force other people to have hdparm installed only
> because you want it ?

No, because I used it quite often and, I am sure, will use it again.
I could not use my dvd drive until I turned dma use on, so in a way it
is necessary to boot my system.
The disc space used by the files contained in the package once installed
is 88KB. I don't know the size of the overhead on the smp kernel, but it
is surely much bigger.
I really think it should be included by default on an expert install.
After a fresh install, everyone is going to check the drives parameters,
even if it is to remove the rpm after that if space is critical.
If I am the only one, that's fine, I can also install it manually.
--
Quel Qun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>