Nicolas Pomarede wrote:

> Well, I had the exact same problem after installing 9.0 on my laptop.
> This is a "rather" old one, with Celeron 300 Mhz and not really fast ide disk,
> so any unnecessary operations during the login is easily noticeable.
> After boot completed, I noticed login with root was instantanneous, while
> login with any other user took 5 seconds or so.

> As pointed, the "problem" comes from devfs default configuration. By default,
> devfs will MODLOAD any module which can't be lookep up.

Is everything above properly spelled? I don't understand its meaning.

>See devfsd.conf :

> # Enable module autoloading. You may comment this out if you don't use
> # autoloading
> LOOKUP                .*              MODLOAD

What is MODLOAD? What is autoloading? How do I know if I am using or
need to be using either of these?

> In my case, this loaded ide, floppy, cdrom and the corresponding ide-scsi

How did you find this out? Is there an inventory of this somewhere? I
see three files in /etc/devfs/conf.d: dynamic.conf, mouse.conf,
psaux.conf. I don't recognize any contents of dynamic.conf as necessary.
Most is usb, which I don't use.

> modules, which resulted in the slowdown. I commented this line, did a devfs
> restart, and that's it, all login are as fast as root (as well as logout by
> the way).

> So, you can comment this line, but some modules won't be autoloaded when
> needed/requested by application. You will have to add lines for these
> specific modules ; in my case, I needed /dev/ppp for dialup. I had to add the
> line :

> LOOKUP          ^ppp$                   MODLOAD

> You can do the same and list only explicit device instead of ".*" to load only
> the needed modules and speed up the process (in my case, I don't use my
> external cdrom and floppy, so commenting the ".*" was no problem for me, but
> it could be for others, so handle with care).

> Hope this helps... (or at least explains things a little more).

Helps yes, but need to understand the consequence of the recommended
action.
--
"There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough,
people will believe it."                        William James

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/