Austin Acton wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-01-19 at 18:06, Adam Williamson wrote:

> I have always felt the same way.  I think it's a terrible idea:
>
> 1. this work and effort could be better spent elsewhere (easier samba,
> better documentations, more hardware support, more rock-solid installer,
> more PPC, more ia64... etc.)

Hey hey, I'm working on samba, but since we're talking  KDE Control
Centre, would we be able to get this into main?

http://ksambakdeplugin.sourceforge.net/

Otherwise, we need at least to be able to set an smbpasswd from
userdrake (which I have started taking a look at).

> 2. hints that Mandrake is more KDE-centric than GNOME-centric
> (regardless of whether it is or not... it's the principle)

So, if we do it in Gnome, it's ok for KDE? Have you been to
system-settings:/// and  server-settings:/// recently???

> 3. while some say it's a 'simplification' or 'aide', it is also
> confusing in the sense that any linux user should understand the
> difference between the system and the desktop environment

KDE Control Center already has some tools which need root privs which
are in the user section, grouping them under 'System' would be more
consistent.

> 4. takes away a lot of the coolness out of the Mandrake Control Centre
> which (while not perfect) is ahead of most other distros

I think embedding MCC in KDECC is just as cool as MCC itself (I mean,
you could always run the tools seperately).

> 5. Linux is NOT a unified product, and we shouldn't try to convince
> people that it is

But making it more integrated may help people see that it can compete in
terms of useability.

Many users I have helped often start up KDE Control Center when they
need to do an administration task (since it's the most visible "Control
Center" entry on the menu).

I would actually prefer to see a "Settings" menu with "Personal" and
"System" submenus instead of having configuration *and* KDE Control
Center *and* the printing manager. Menu editor could go under personal.
So, we would see something like this:

Amusement
Appications
Documentation
Multimedia
Networking
Office
What to do
-----------
Find
        ->Files
        ->People (since KDE addressbook now has LDAP support)
        ->On the internet??
Home (Personal Files)
Settings
        ->Printers
        ->System (would contain all entries currrently under configuration)
        ->Menus
        ->Panel
        ->Personal settings (KDE CC)
        ->Change password

And, I miss the "Recent documents", I don't see why bookmarks are more
important on the menu than the files I have worked on recently.

Finally, it would be great if we could move entries like "new login with
gdm" out of Config->Boot, but that would require that kdm have this
functionality, or KDE be able to use gdm's cool feature.

Buchan