Todd Lyons wrote:
> Pixel wrote on Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 02:05:58AM +0100 :
>
>>>The value of umask(=0) makes many system files on the FAT32
>>>partition writable by a  non-root linux user. This is very
>>>undesirable and risky. In the extreme case, a  well-designed linux
>>>virus can easily damage the windows system files !!  The proper
>>>solution to this is to change the umask value to 022 so that only
>>>root has write access to the FAT32 system.
>>
>>umask=0 is what people want AFAIK...
>>cooker people, WYT?
>

> Nearly every problem that someone has when trying to save files to a FAT
> partition is because they don't realize they need to be root.  Should we
> protect them from possible bad things and make it umask=022, or should
> we allow them to do things like their old OS did?  I personally vote to
> allow them to have access as a regular user.  I know it's not secure,
> but it cuts a lot of support needs.

IMHO, when dealing with windows features/filesystems, if in doubt, do
what Windows does. Under all versions of windows, all users have write
access to all files on any FAT filesystem. So, IMHO, umask=0.

I personally make a group that has write access to my fat32 partitions,
cause I like my data ;-).

Dependant on msec level?

Buchan