John Allen wrote:

On Thursday 23 January 2003 12:19, Chmouel Boudjnah wrote:

John Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

The via-rhine driver loads fine, and ifstatus says there is a link
heartbeat, but no traffic ever goes through the interface.

via-rhine works fine, are you sure you have your network properly
configured ?

Maybe it is just the Chaintech 7VJL then. (I have installed a 3Com card and it works fine). I have also tried the VIA driver from Chaintech, and the one directly from VIA, same result.

It does however work perfectly under Windows XP.

I hopefully will be getting another 7VJL, and if works on that I can just send the current one back.

Thanks.

Under THOSE circumstances, you might also see if the BIOS has the embedded LAN turned off. Linux can detect things that the computer BIOS will not flow data to, then users wonder why the heck data traffic cannot happen until they either use an add-on card or check the BIOS (sometimes in peripherals, sometimes advanced setup, sometimes PNP area). I have also had Linux not like defaulted resources that conflict but which windows treats as non-dedicated and uses with less efficiency if conflicted. I lost LAN, then sound, then both, and finally after telling my BIOS to reconfigure itself yet AGAIN (actually time 6, and a BIOS Flash) most conflicts were resolved and things worked in Linux. Chaintechs do this, some Soyo boards that are modern do this, Intel boards that are modern do this.
The south bridges mitigate such things to a large degree, and I know this because of two things that area growing-in-frequency pattern: the BIOSs are coded to stack SB routed traffic first if must, and Windows uses SB drivers that turn conflicts over to the SB of modern boards rather than direct access. Internal to Windows the SB stacked IRQs are separated out, that is why you can see Windows using IRQs 16-20 internally these days-- this sacrifices efficiency per stream for compatibility with modern boards that in essence use the SB as a very good resource conflict mitigator for media and LAN data streaming, and they typically chunk USB into that, and firewire-- the combo of IRQ plus port set is used to determine what resource is wanted, not primarily just IRQ any more or IRQ foremost with I\O port second, they are used TOGETHER now. Over the long haul, linux will have to recognize changes that have descended into chipware and firmware.

Thumbnail Linguistic XREF\Perspective:

SOUTH BRIDGE is secondary chipset controller of resource flows, paired with North Bridge, or primary chipset controller. In England, it is called a southbridge by some, in the US two words are used for this chipset chip. In Europe, closest equiv. I can think of in English is Ancillary main chipset controller, or multimedia controller (while north bridge would be the main chipset controller). I would like to be enlightened as to how you folks differentiate the chips in a now-dual main-chipset board structure, so we can understand each other better.

John.