Ben Reser wrote:

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 10:39:45PM -0700, Vincent Danen wrote:

Agreed.

Or, even better, split ntp into two packages... ntp-client and
ntp-server. You only need ntpdate and /etc/ntp/step-tickers to set the
time from a remote ntp server... running the full-blown ntpd is silly.

For instance, on a local network of 10 machines, only one machine needs
to run ntpd, and get the time from an external NTP server. The other 9
machines just need to run ntpdate on boot or at a desired interval...
they don't all need to run ntpd.

According to the ntp people ntpdate is deprecated. They basically tell
you to use ntpd with certain options which isn't really a good
replacement for it.

Note the disclaimer on the top of this page:
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ntp_spool/html/ntpdate.html

I run ntpd as they recommend, but sync(by calling ntpd from webmin using the hardware->time server choice) via the Webmin interface. Webmin writes a decent call to ntpd. I tend to sync once a month, and that keeps me within 10 sec of real. For standalone boxes like mine in the US, http://nist.time.gov/ is webbable also, with a javascripted time display that self-syncs to nist. on pane one, you choose time zone, pane two shows time to second. Good for general use.

John.