rcc wrote:

the /dev/dvd link is missing

/etc/devfs/dvd.conf points to an ide cd device but there's only a
generic device at the target dir. Same is true for rdvd.conf and, in my
case, hdc.conf. The desired cd device is at scsi as the my ide dvdrom is
now scsi. BTW, how do I turn that feature off? Kernel append only has
the burner for ide-scsi.

ah, and the nvidia line in modules.devfs is obsolete: NVdriver is now
simply nvidia

- Mark

Mark, is this a combo drive, DVD and CD-RW??? Or a DVD burner??? My Mandrake uses my CD-RW subtype burner as SCSI also, but it does work-- for reading, sound CD play, and burning. I just told Mandrake 9.0 to use /dev/scd0 instead of /dev/cdrom for data reads. Kscd thinks it has a SCSI CD-ROM for audio play. Burning will only happen in SCSI mode, was easiest to leave it that way all the time and that way Supermount and devfsd also work. Ditto for cooker, with a takeoff point from beta2.

With a combo drive, it is again easiest to run it as SCSI emulation on all the time AFAIK. I think, could be wrong and YMMV, that one or the other would be easiest to standardize on-- and burning software needs SCSI emulation on. My TDK behaves this way, my HP did also, and unfortunately I do not have the funds for Cendyne DV-RW right now (I spent money for more RAM instead).

John.

John Danielson.