On Wed Jan 29 11:39 -0600, Lonnie Borntreger wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 11:31, Levi Ramsey wrote:
> > On Wed Jan 29 12:22 -0500, HoytDuff wrote:
> > > On Wednesday 29 January 2003 12:12 pm, Jason Komar:
> > >
> > > The French have that ultra-cool, fast airliner . . .
> >
> > Not sure I'd call the Concorde ultra-cool... after all, even with the
> > thin air at its cruising altitude (55000 ft/17000 m), it generates
> > enough friction to boil water on its surface.
>
> I'm quite sure the Concorde is British, not French.

Anglo-French combine, actually.  Both nations invested way too much
money into the project, and when they learned that nobody else was
willing to buy them, forced British Airways and Air France to buy the 14
that were built (7 apiece).  For both airlines, IIRC, only 4 or 5 of
their 7 were ever flown commercially.

The Concorde was a disaster.  If it had better range, as in range
sufficient to do a nonstop trans-Pacific flight, it could have been
profitable (Sydney - LA in 8 hours would attract a lot of interest from
businessmen and such, and NYC - Tokyo in 7 even moreso).  The fact that
most nations on earth banned supersonic flight within their airspace,
most notably the USA (and Canada, IIRC) didn't help matters, either.

The way I see it, Air Canada could have pulled off a coup had they
bought a couple of Concordes and ran a sort of shuttle service between
Winnipeg, Saskatoon, or Edmonton and Paris/London with connecting
flights from whichever Canadian end to various cities in Western North
America (slicing a couple of hours off the LA-Paris flight, for
instance).  I doubt sonic booms over Hudson Bay would do much damage.

--
Levi Ramsey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               [EMAIL PROTECTED]

GPG Fingerprint: 354C 7A02 77C5 9EE7 8538  4E8D DCD9 B4B0 DC35 67CD
Currently playing:  Monster Magnet - Atomic Clock
Linux 2.4.21pre3-2mdk
 12:40:00  up 54 min,  6 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.06, 0.15