On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 04:55, Ben Reser wrote:

> Part of the issue too is that IM clients under Linux have had a history
> of being broken.  If Protocol A is broken on one client it may work on
> another better.  Support for various protocols and their functionality
> differs greatly between programs.

This is an important point. Protocols have a tendency of changing to try
and lock third-party clients out every now and again, and as Ben says,
we have more redundancy against this with lots of clients.

> Ultimately, we're in a situation where none of these apps are really
> best of breed.  They all have their trade offs, so I would error on the
> side of being overly inclusive in this situation than not.

I don't know about gaim not being designed for multiple protocols. It
can be a bit of a pain to set them all up originally, loading the
appropriate plugins then adding accounts, but once you've done that you
can set them all to autologin. I have all my conversations on all
networks set to appear in one tabbed window, I hardly notice what
network other people are on any more.
--
adamw