Oden Eriksson wrote:

> Aha! Cool!
>

>>My consulting almost always involves integrating linux into windows
>>networks .. so I need a lot of these. The list I gave is what I have on
>>my dual-boot win2k/Mandrake 9.0 thinkpad (except I didn't list grass,
>>which I have on windows too).
>

> Nice, very nice!
>
> I wonder if you (or anyone) has any experience in the windows migration kit
> by Jaques Gelinas?

Not really, but I assume it's similar to the smbldap-migrate.pl perl
script we have in samba, and the stuff Michael Brown did.

The thing is that samba3 has something which can do the majority of this
without having to run anything on a windows box.

# urpmi samba3-common
# net3 rpc vampire

(it's supposed to be 'net rpc vampire', and will be once samba-3.0.0 is out)

If I were to try this, I would setup one new samba box, and then sync
data across with rysnc, and extract and set ACLs from the windows box,
and then switch it, using a 'netbios aliases' to have the old name point
to the new samba box. Format the original win2k server, and use it for
the next one. But then again I normally don't make 200 shares on a
windows box like some people do (normally you shouldn't need more than
about 20 IMHO).

However, I don't really have enough infrastructure to play with this at
present, we only have one windows server here, and that's a production
MSSQL (don't ask ...).

I'm more interested in getting Mandrake 9.0 to work out-the-box using
the network profiles as home dir ... but that's a lot more work since in
win2k that info is stored in AD :-(. But IMHO the winbind stuff 9.0 had
isn't bad.

P.S. Does anyone know if the 'expert' authentication options in
installation will be available in beta3? I probably need to test it and
see if it still works with a newer samba.

FYI:
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba/Integrating%20Linux%20into%20Windows%20Networks.tar.gz

>>>- nessus win client
>>>- some free vpn client (?)
>>
>>It is not better to make Mandrake VPN software work out-the-box with the
>>native windows client?
>
> It's easy for win2k+? I've not come that far with this yet.

It's supposed to be, Florin may know more. AFAICR, it worked with pptp
and some patches to ppp or pptp (which are applied) or so (don't ask me
about VPNs though ...).

>>http://gnuwin.epfl.ch/apps/en/index.html
>>
>>I haven't been able to get one of these ISOs yet, so I haven't started
>>suggesting software to them yet ...
>
> Only isos? Well..., then I have to dl it using a bigger pipe and mount it...
>

>>And they haven't even got apache, php, bacula-windows client etc on it
>
> yet.
>
> It's amazing! and with latest cygwin you can even run exim ;)

You could also run postgresql on cygwin, but IIRC they have done some
effort to run it natively on win32. But apparently rsync also works well
on cygwin.

>>>possible, mandrake is allready a cd distributor, so why not?

BTW, I would spend $5-$10 on such a CD if it were kept up-to-date.

>>Maybe we should ask Deno if his new on-the-fly CD-writing service for
>>the Club will sell something like this ... Deno?
>
> Cool.

Deno seems very busy ... maybe he's got something up his sleeves, and
hopefully it has to do with this ...

Buchan