From: "Chmouel Boudjnah" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
| Thomas Backlund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
|
| > Wont work on my IBM PCS325 Server with two scsi disks in linux-raid 1,
| > connected to an AIC7880 controller, and 2 IDE disks connected to a
HPT370.
| > When it's booting, it gets kernel panic and reboots.Pressing pause at
the
| > point it's about to reboot freezes it, and the following is shown on
the
| > screen:
|
| by any chance, booting with noacpi or acpi=off does it work ?

Nope.
Booting normally gives automatic reboot.
Booting with 'noacpi' I have to C-A-D it myself to get it to reboot.
booting with 'acpi=off' results in a hard lock, only thing that works is
the powerswitch.

Remowing the HighPoint controller from the system does not make a
difference.
This leads me to belive that the error comes either from the md startup, or
from
the aic7880...

pre3.1, pre3.2 and pre4.1 does not work on this system, only pre2.1 and
older...

I noticed in the: [CHRPM] kernel-2.4.21.0.pre3.1mdk-1-1mdk changelog:
 * aic7xxx integrated upstream.
This does not show up in the kernel.org changelog,
and since it seems to be the only change from pre2.1 to newer ones
that could directly impact my system it would be nice to know what's
changed...

I'll try to build a new kernel from the kernel.org sources tonight,
 and see the problem exists there too..

Thomas