> During the package install - the system appears to freeze at about 10
> seconds left - but if I wait long enough (8 minutes?) - the install
> continues.  From this point forward - every step is painfully SLOW.

Robert,

Would your motherboard chip set be an Intel 845?  Look at the discussion of
HDPARM related issues.  Basically, the support for the 845 chipset is broken in
the 2.4.21 kernel, so it is running in non-dma mode.  I have the same problem
on my system, although it manifests differently.  Whenever I run urpmi there is
a huge wait before it does anything visible, and it runs very slowly.  I think
urpmi tends to show up the slowness of the drive access, since it reads and
writes frequently within the same program.

Just my opinion, but there are a lot of motherboards out there with the 845
chipset, and this is a big issue, both for Mandrake, and for the kernel team.

Paul