Stefan van der Eijk wrote:

Yes, the src.rpm that builds libsasl7 is not in cooker anymore. Quite some packages way down in the distro require libsasl7 and even basesystem.

Is the move to sasl2 going to be completed? Or is a src.rpm that builds libsasl7 going to come back? Just wondering.
It depends on the authentication method. If you store your secrets in the sasldb, migration is an all or nothing proposition: the database format has changed, there's an utility to convert from the old format to the new format, but then applications using sasl v1 will be using the old database, while applications using sasl v2 will use the new one, and there's no way to keep them in sync afterwards. So the only sensible thing to do in this case is upgrade all applications using the sasl library (provided all of them have been adapted/patched to use sasl v2).

If you use another authentication (e.g. pam, like I'm doing) applications using the old and new library can coexist (provided you don't use saslauthd for both, you can use pwcheck for the old applications and saslauthd for the new ones, or pwcheck for both).
There's some problem using ldap authentication if you mix sasl versions, but it seems to be dependent on specific configurarions.
Since I'm not using neither sasldb nor ldap, I'm happily authenticating cyrus-imapd with sasl v2 and postfix (only server side, i.e. smtp-auth) with sasl v1, but an "official" mandrake package should take care of all possibilities (i.e: upgrade all applications using sasl at once)

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Note.- This message reached you today, it may not tomorrow if you