Robert Fox wrote:

> That makes sense - but when I use ftp://192.168.10.101 - I get the login
> dialog - type name and password and it works.

If you do:
$ ftp 192.168.10.101
you get? A login prompt for a username ...

If you:
$ ssh 192.168.10.101
you get? Only a password prompt

This is a problem with kio_fish then, and I suspect no-one has had this
issue before. What should happen is that if the username differs, it
should terminate the connection and make a new one ... I haven't looked
at the source yet, but the author has posted here before so you might be
able to ask him about it ...

Since I normally use fish to machines where my logins are the same, it's
not an issue for me, and I have my ~/.ssh/config setup for ssh'ing into
machines where this is not the case:

eg:

Host klama
        HostName compil.mandrake.org
        User buchan
        Compression yes
        ForwardAgent no
        ForwardX11 no

So instead of 'ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED]', I just 'ssh klama'

> So how is a non SSH expert supposed to know this?

Shouldn't need to, but I suspect so far most users were ssh experts ...

> It might be helpful
> to have some on-line help for regular users about the fish syntax.

I think it should be fixed rather ...

> There is nothing under KDE HELP or man pages . . . and one would
> naturally assume it works like the FTP.
>
> I'm just trying to think from a usability perspective.

I agree with you, just trying to think why there was a difference ...

I think it's time to file a bug report ...

Buchan