> I am trying to install Beta 3 on a machine with an Asus A7V8X
> motherboard and a Athlon XP 1500 processor.
>
> I have tried both graphical and text mode and it only gets as far as
> uncompressing the kernel. It then hangs. I have also tried the
> mem=nopentium option.
>
> I have this machine working fine with Mandrake 8.2 and kernel
> 2.4.21-pre4 compiled with gcc 2.96.

I also tried using the "blank.img" boot image and puting my own kernel
onto it, but that failed too because I compile both my network drivers
and isofs into the kernel. The installer tries to load the modules,
fails and the installation aborts. What puzzles me is why the "hd.img"
also fails for the same reason.

However, thanks to a few suggestions not on the list, I have managed to
get a non-graphical "text" install working with options:

noapic acpi=off mem=nopentium

The normal graphical install still results in a kernel crash. I wonder
if it is possible for the installer to detect Athlons and apply these
options automatically. It would make life much easier.

I have now got the Desktop working with the standard nv driver. Thanks
again to those who helped.

Ed-T.