Vincent Danen wrote:

I don't think it's unrealistic to add.  If nothing else, it's extremely
simple for a user to remove if they don't want it (rm -rf ~/Maildir).

Alternatively, we could configure postfix out of the box to use
Maildirs instead of mboxes...  Maildirs are far more reliable than
traditional mboxes anyways.  People use journalling filesystems now to
prevent fs corruption, but what happens with mail corruption?  If
/var/spool/mail/username is corrupt, all the mail in it is useless.  At
least with Maildir, each message is it's own file; one corrupt file
doesn't corrupt the entire folder.
quite agree. and i would add easier quota support too. I would add way better performance[1] for large mail boxes. I would add... ok i stop here, i switched to maildir a while back, and i will never commeback to mbox or gnus/nnml (sort of Maildir, but "proprietary") format.
but before doing this sort of thing, we must check and configure *ALL* our included MUA to use Maildir.

Don't dismiss this out of hand just because djb invented it... =)  The
only MTA I know of that doesn't support Maildir is sendmail, and I
could be wrong.  postfix, qmail, exim... they all can use Maildirs.
Maildir r0x :)
And if you use procmail to deliver mail with sendmail (as most of people are doing) you will receive them in your Maildir

[1] http://www.courier-mta.org/mbox-vs-maildir/