On Thursday 06 February 2003 22:01, Austin Acton wrote:
> For anyone who doesn't know, I looked into how Debian organizes their
> development community:
>
> 1.  They have documents clearly outlining their goals and standards.
> http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines
> http://www.debian.org/social_contract
>
> 2.  They generally communicate through mailing lists:
> low volume:
> debian-devel-announce, debian-news
> high volume:
> debian-devel, debian-project, debian-mentors, etc.
> This is probably more developer friendly than my wiki suggestion.
> I still think we should have some sort of web-interfaced list of
> developers, contact info, and stuff they're currently working on, but
> yeah, mailing lists are much nicer for communicaiton.

Yeah this is an absolutly need. Current one-fits-all is not a solution. The
different mailinglists of debian sounds like the way to go.

> There is a cool website for new joiners:
> http://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint

Sounds nice too

> And their developer's reference is a bit more complete than our
> RPM-how-to:
> http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/developers-reference/

Yeah documantation of the ways

> 3.  They have a clear list of what packaging needs to be done:
> http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/
>
> 4.  They have guides for writing documentation, website maintenance,
> translation, publicity, and quality assurance.
> These are all things that are underrated.  Especially documentation and
> quality assurance.  We should make sure that anyone who wants to help
> with these types of things feels invited and gets full credit where due.
> http://www.debian.org/devel/website/
> http://qa.debian.org/
>
> While debian still sucks in many ways (hehe), I think we could learn a
> lot from their community model, and get more done in less time, and
> attract a lot more help.
>
> Austin

Yes I'm impressed by the organisation. Every little detail that get on my
nerves currently with mandrake is solved there. We need organisation !!

--
Regards
Steffen