Le Vendredi 7 Février 2003 19:51, John Goerzen a écrit :
> I would like to try to offer a bit of insight
> on what Debian has done right, what Debian has done wrong, and perhaps
> explore some areas Debian can work together with the Mandrake
> community in the future.

You 're welcome.

> >> I also like their "package adoption" system:
> >> http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/
> >
> > Package adoption is great, but, to orphan a package is not really seen as
> > a good thing by others developpers.
>
> Very true.  Debian uses this for two purposes:
>
> 1. A developer is still maintaining a package, but wants to stop
> 2. A developer has stopped maintaining the package and wants to let
> others know about it.

Well, orphaned package need to be adopted before any work is done on it,
that's right ?

If so, why not put them in a special zone, where people can submit some
changes, without having the burden of maintening it ?

> > What about doing it the same way than Netbsd and FreeBSD.
> > Debian is ported on a lot of processor, we can focus on a smaller subset.
> > They have goals for each release in term of version of software, we can
> > have more frequent releases, based on time.
>
> I'm not sure what the difference is here.  Debian's release schedule
> is, according to everyone, too long.  No quibbles there.  It's
> nominally based on time, too.

Well, I tought it was in term of software.
For Woody, it was perl 5.6, Xfree4.0 and kernel 2.4, or something similar, I
think.

So, no features freeze until these are out and tested a lot.
But, it is possible I was wrong.

--

Mickaël Scherer