----- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Reser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 11:55 AM
Subject: [Cooker] Re: [bind] named.ca out of date

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 10:42:14AM +0100, Oden Eriksson wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I used this pretty simple file for years to take care of the problem. I
know
> > this is not fool proof, but something like this could be used in
Mandrake.

> > the_url="ftp://ftp.rs.internic.net/domain";
> > the_file="named.cache"
>
> Not really necessary... Rarely do enough root servers get changed to
> make a difference even if one is off.  In this case the old ip is even
> still working.  J and A were at the same location so J's old ip has just
> been redirected to A.
>
> Considering that this file hasn't been updated from Aug 1997 - Nov 2002,
> I really can't imagine the need for a monthly cron.

I forgot to mention that I used a static ip address in the hosts file, sort
of an check if the root servers pointers had been tampered with, if the
chrooted bind had been compromised. Otherwise I would have used dig to get
the zone file ;) I don't monitor these bind servers 24/7, so I had to come
up with something had the ns owners not noticed themselves...

> I also don't think internic would appreciate us nailing their ftp site
> once a month looking for the update.  Nor can we count on when this file
> gets updated 5 years from now that that URL will be valid.
>
> Probably the best thing to do is just make the SRPM download the file
> from that ftp site. :)  Guarantees new packages will always have the
> correct file.

Yes, that would be wise.

> <sarcasm>
> Besides with as often as we put out security updates for bind, it'll
> even get updated for old distro versions.
> </sarcasm>

He he, yes ;)