Brook Humphrey wrote:
> Götz Waschk wrote:
>> [...] I like the fact that Mandrake includes alternatives to the KDE
>> monoculture.
> For me I'm saddend by this. Thats why I started using mandrake years
> ago. Because it was kde only. I find the multiple desktops a waste of
> space. [...]

If Mandrake should become KDE only, I'd certainly switch to another
distro.  Currently I haven't even KDE installed at all, it was just
wasting disk space.

Especially on computers that are a few years old, it's essential with
faster and less memory-hungry window managers, like IceWM.  (And I haven't
yet seen any significant benefits from using the KDE or Gnome desktops
compared to IceWM.)

Some of my main motives for using Mandrake are:
- Ease of installation and configuration, including tools like
  diskdrake, rpmdrake (with Mandrake Update) and urpmi.
- Hardware detection (but other distros have improved considerably).
- Up to date packages (RPMs/SRPMs) available through Cooker.
- The alt.os.linux.mandrake newsgroup.