On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 08:44:15 -0800 (PST), [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In fact the drivers was build and installed, but when you try to install
> nvidia-glx there is an error about "failed dependencies, nvidia-kernel"
> is needed"). I have not the package nvidia-kernel rebuilt and I thought
> that the crashes could be due to that.Just the nvidia.o is present in
> /usr/src/RPM/BUILD/NVIDIA-KERNEL/ and doing from this directory a make
> install it runs, but with the mentioned crashes.
>
> Francisco Alcaraz
> Murcia (Spain)

You need to install the driver before you install the glx.  Is it possible you
have different versions of the kernel and glx?  The last version I downloaded
was 4191.

As root you can build the Nvidia driver from the source rpm as follows:
rpm --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.src.rpm
rpm --rebuild NVIDIA-GLX-1.0-4191.src.rpm

then you install them by executing the following lines:
rpm -ivh /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.i586.rpm
rpm -ivh /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.i586.rpm

If you are re-installing the driver you would use rpm -Uvh, perhaps with
--force if you just rebuilt the driver because you upgraded the Linux kernel.
If you need the --force and don't enter it, you will get an error message.

I'm not at my Linux machine right now, so this was done from memory, but I
think it is pretty accurate.  You may also need to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
to change the driver name from "nv" to "nvidia".  Not also, because of the way
they set up the kernel source rpm, I believe you have to build it as root.

I hope this helps.

Paul Misner

Resuilding from the source rpms is really easy.