I recently built and installed the 2.4.21pre4 kernel on my Mandrake 9.0
system.  I have an Athlon 1.1GHz system with an MSI KT3 Ultra motherboard.
If I disable APIC in the bios, the system refuses to bootup.  I don't even
get to a kernel panic - all I get (as soon as I select the kernel in lilo) is
a blank screen and absolutely no activity whatsoever.  If I hard reboot and
enable APIC, then the system boots up fine but then I run into usb problems
(my usb printer isn't "seen" or usable, my wusb11 is unusable).  This
bootup/non-bootup behavior occurs even if I use the "noapic" switch during
bootup.  I currently have 2.4.21pre4 up with the "noapic" switch and APIC
enabled in bios.  I am still unable to use my printer (HP Deskjet 845C)
though it was visable enough to printerdrake for me to reset it up.  When I
try to print a testpage, my syslog produces a "printer no connected" message,
even though it is connected.

praedor