On Thursday 06 March 2003 06:17, Adam Williamson wrote:
> If the problem is contractual obligations, perhaps the 9.0 experience
> ought to indicate that such contracts should not be made.

How do you propose that Mandrake release their software, then? If they wait
until there is a stable release before signing contracts, it will be at least
a month before that release hits the shelves, and even longer before most of
the advertising supporting that release appears. And that's assuming that
they have good relationships with everyone involved (and are willing to pay
for "rush" work in some cases). You can't just call someone and say, "OK, our
release is ready," and get it in stores the next day.

Now, in the long run, they'd still get out the same number of releases per
year, it's just that there'd be a gap of a couple of months when they first
switched to this new strategy. That doesn't sound too bad, but think about
what it means--it means a couple of months with significantly reduced
revenue, which isn't such a great thing for a company in Mandrake's financial
situation (or, really, any company).

Plus, this means that the releases that people buy on the shelves would no
longer be up-to-date. Part of the reason that people choose Mandrake over,
say, Redhat is that Mandrake usually has state-of-the-art packages.

To people who switch from other distros, this is a huge difference. A friend
of mine once asked, "Why should I bother upgrading to the new version of
Redhat if I'll still have to install gcc and KDE myself to get recent
versions?" I was able to point to Mandrake and say, "Look, they have them.
Why not switch?" He did.

To people who switch from Windows, this may not seem like as big a deal--but
it still makes a difference. For example, part of the reason that Mandrake
9.0 looked good to Windows users than the other distros was KDE3, and part of
the reason it worked well for them was konqueror/galeon, evolution/kmail, and
the various office packages--all of which had only recently become good
enough to sell a Windows user.

In other words, Mandrake can't afford to have major releases that are two
months out of date. But they can't avoid this unless they pre-schedule their
releases and sign these kinds of contracts.

Of course some companies sign even larger contracts and start even larger
advertising campaigns and then slip releases by months, anyway (Windows 97,
anyone? Rhapsody 1.0?). But most companies can't afford to pay two or three
times for each release, keep the release-time ad blitz up for months on end,
and fight the bad PR. Apple can just barely get away with it; Mandrake
certainly couldn't.

The way that software is released today stinks. It's bad for Mandrake--but
it's also bad for Microsoft and Apple and Redhat, and for Symantec and
Microprose and Adobe. Mandrake refusing to play by the same rules would not
affect the system, it would only hurt Mandrake.