Hi John,
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but, a 12 pound turkey left out all day will not be ready for tomorrow. What you can do is put it in the bathtub with a good bit of cold water. Hopefully, you haven't taken it out of its packaging because this won't work if you have done so. Let Mr. Turkey spend the night in the bathtub and see how he feels in the morning. The safest thing to do in terms of being sure that he is thawed is to have something else for dinner today and declair Thanksgiving to be on Sunday. He will have thawed in the frig by then. Then, you can clean out his inside with some cold water. Be sure to remove that neck, heart, and gibblets from his which will be in three plastic bags located inside the bird at his hind end and his neck end. Salt and pepper him inside and rub him inside with a little melted butter mixed with a little lemon juice and add a little poultry seasoning and garlic powder. Then grease him well with butter on the outside as well. One stick of butter melted will probably do the trick. Place him in a roasting pan, breast side up, and tent the pan with aluminum foil. Set him in a preheated oven at 350 and let him cook for 4 to 4 and a half hours, (20 minutes per pound). You will know he is done if his leg pulls away from the body easily. Oh, I forgot to tell you to tie his legs together covering the opening at his bottom. This makes it easier to fit him in the pan. To test him, loosen the tie and see how easy it is to move the leg. Hope my directions are clear to you. Also, I hope you get to read this right away so you can decide whether to bathe him or put him back in the frig till Sunday. Let us know how it works out for you.
Barb
----- Original Message ----- From: "John H" <sudsy...@gmail.com>
To: <cookinginthedark@acbradio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 11:36 PM
Subject: [CnD] how long and how high to cook turkey?

Well folks: I'm here in the u.s. visiting my fiancé for thanks-giving. This will be my first American t-giving and I want to do it up big. We went and got a 12 pound turkey at the store. I have had it thawing all day so it will be ready to cook come morning.
How long should I put a 12 pounder on for? And at what temperature?
Thanks in advance.
-John and happy thanks giving to all.