I tried this recipe last year, and the bars were a great hit!
Jan
Jeweled Mixed-Nut Bars

 St. Paul Pioneer Press

Submitted by

Kathy Zieman, St. Paul

Jeweled Mixed-Nut Bars

"I got this recipe from my mom, Joan Hogan. She used salted peanuts, but I like
the mixed nuts. These cookies create a pretty and delicious addition to

my Christmas cookie plates. People always want this recipe!"

Makes 2 dozen.

BASE

list of 4 items

. 1½ cups flour

. ¾ cup brown sugar

. 1 teaspoon salt

. ½ cup butter

list end

TOPPING

. 2 tablespoons butter

. ½ package (6 ounces) butterscotch chips (see cook's note)

. ½ cup white corn syrup

. 1 teaspoon vanilla

. 2 cups deluxe mixed nuts

To prepare oven, pan: Preheat to 350 degrees. Grease 9-by-13-inch pan. Set
aside.

To make base: In bowl, combine flour, brown sugar and salt. Cut in butter.
Press into prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes.

To make topping: Meanwhile, over low heat or in microwave, melt butter and
butterscotch chips. Stir in corn syrup and vanilla. Spread mixed nuts over base.

Pour topping evenly over nuts.

To bake bars: Bake for 10 minutes or until sides start to bubble. Note: About 5
minutes into baking, use spatula to press nuts down into base. Cool completely.

Cut into squares.

Cook's note: Chocolate chips can be substituted for butterscotch chips, but
bars won't look "jeweled" or nearly as pretty.