Oh, well, I may have messed up the red beans and rice recipe posted recently. Though I usually have soaked beans in the past, I did not soak these and added salt to the water. They are in my crockpot cooking on high as I write. Hope they turn out OK.
Sharon
----- Original Message ----- From: "Nancy Matulis" <twinchic...@yahoo.com>
To: "cooking" <Cookinginthedark@acbradio.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2010 8:55 AM
Subject: [CnD] cooking beans

Soak most beans in three times their volume of cold water for six hours before cooking. (You can cook beans without soaking, but it takes longer, and some people think the beans taste better when soaked.)

Step 3
Drain and rinse the beans, and then put them in a large pot. Add water to come an inch or two over the beans. Do not add salt!

Putting salt in the beans will prevent them from softening.

Other beans are yellow eye beans great for new england style baked beans. Nancy Matulis