Here is a recipe that should give you a place to start.  I don't care for split
pea soup done in the crock pot because the peas never seem to break down and I
like my split pea soup thick.  I just would follow this recipe (use some ham or
smoke turkey wings or legs in place of the ham hock) but do in a pot on the
stove.
ham and split pea soup crock pot

8 cups water

4 large carrots cut into half inch pieces

3 stalks celery cut into half inch pieces

2 bay leaves

2 garlic cloves crushed with press

2 smoked ham hocks about 1-2/3 pounds

1 pound dry split green peas picked over rinsed and drained

1 onion chopped

half teaspoon thyme

2 tablespoons lemon juice

in crock combine everything except lemon juice adding 1 tablespoon salt

cook low 8-10 hours high 4-5 hours

Remove ham hocks discard bay leaves, when ham hocks are cool enough to handle
remove skin, fat and bone

Cut meat into small pieces and return to soup stirring in lemon juice

love lightens all difficulties and sweetens all bitterness. --- St. Francis ---

Scanned by the Barracuda Spam Firewall at CPWS Broadband