No, you eat the seeds.  They are the fruit.

Dawnelle

----- Original Message ----- From: "gail johnson" <mama-g...@samobile.net>
To: <cookinginthedark@acbradio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:45 AM
Subject: [CnD] Pomegranate and Poppy Seed Salad

I want to make the following salad. My husband is alergic to lettuce of any kind, can't have spinach or cabbage. Any suggestions for substitutions for the lettuce. Also it calls for pomegranate seeds. This doesn't sound right. I thought one was supposed to eat the fruit and discard the seeds.

Any help is appreciated.

Pomegranate and Poppy Seed Salad
Crisp, green romaine is the perfect base for this salad of red onion, pomegranate seeds and a creamy dressing.

Prep Time:10 min

Start to Finish:10 min

Makes:12 servings

Salad
2 heads romaine, torn into bite-size pieces
1 medium red onion, sliced
2 cups pomegranate seeds
Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing
1 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons poppy seed

1.
In large bowl, mix all salad ingredients.
2.
In small bowl, mix all dressing ingredients until well blended. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Serve immediately.

Nutrition Information:

1 Serving: Calories 210 (Calories from Fat 135 ); Total Fat 15 g (Saturated Fat 2 g); Cholesterol 10 mg; Sodium 115 mg; Total Carbohydrate 18 g (Dietary Fiber 1 g); Protein 2 g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 26 %; Vitamin C 28 %; Calcium 4 %; Iron 4 % Exchanges: 1 Fruit; 1 Vegetable; 3 Fat *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Did You Know?
Pomegranates add more than just great taste and brilliant color to recipes. They're also rich in potassium and contain a good amount of vitamin C. Substitution If you can't find pomegranates, you can use 1 cup dried cranberries or sour cherries. from
www.bettycrocker.com