----- Original Message ----- From: "~SarahHello Sarah and welcome to the group. If I want to make a few pieces of bacon in the microwave I put them in a casserole or pie plate and streighten them out and make sure there are not too mnay of them so they won't cover each other up. They still tend to lump together anyway. But I put some paper towels on top of them and kind of fold the extra hanging over down under it to hold it loosely together. Then I microwave it for about 4 or 5 minutes and then let it go a little bit after the microwave shuts off. When it calms down, when you do not hear it sizzling I shift the pieces around in the pan so they have a chance to cook evenly and go a little more or if they feel done enough I just take out some bread and have a bacon sandwich.

Lora

" <blindba...@gmail.com>
To: <cookinginthedark@acbradio.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2011 11:37 PM
Subject: [CnD] A Quick Intro

Hey all I'm new to the list but wanted to say HI! and note this is my
first list of this type so it will be a learning experience to get
used to.

Just a little about me then on to stuff about cooking as this IS a
cooking list. I'm 27 or will be in August and have been blind now for
almost a year. I lost the last of my sight last year a few days after
my birthday [happy birthday to me =p]. I was half blind before tha t
and manage just fine. Now it's a whole new world, even since I had
half sight the sight was pretty good. So... stuff like cooking was not
so hard, well easier than it is now.

Before this becomes a novel I must say THANK YOU to the Cooking in the
Dark host for the restoration of a much loved breakfast of fried egg
sammich thanks to  a microwave. I have wanted one for a while now and
just yesterday had one made by myself.

Speaking of breakfast I have found pre cooked bacon at Wal Mart for
2.68 for about 16 pieces. A bit pricy but since I have no bacon press
or bacon cooker for the microwave it works out great and tastes great
too!

I hope to toss out little nuggets and gain some in return as I
navigate my new sightless world in the kitchen, a place I hope to
spend  alot of time in as I do enjoy it despite how hard it can be at
times, even with sight back then!

Thanks all and sorry for the novel!

--
~Sarah