I use the Rival Cool Touch deep fryer. I had to have mine replaced twice because of a power problem. The second time they replaced it with a different model but it works the same way. There are no real tactile marks but the slide control goes downward as the temperature goes higher. The highest is 375 and I usually use 350. It is just a little ways higher than all the way down and I just leave it set. I really do not use the timer that it has, I just leave it in the On position and use other means to time. There is a Ready light but I just wait five to seven minutes after I plug it in to warm up the oil. It is so safe because the basket with the food drops down into the oil and you close the lid so no splashing. You pull up the handle and drain the oil and take it out by the handle and I pour the food onto a cookie sheet with paper towels so as not to get it on the counter or the floor. Then i fill up the basket with another batch and wait just a few minutes for the oil to come back up to temperature. I love it because I never fear getting burned or splashed. There are two lines inside the metal pan where the oil goes and they are called minimum and maximum and you pour oil to a depth just in between those lines and check each time you use it because oil can evaporate. Unfortunately my deep fryer is on hold right now because my husband has just come home from his second hospital stay and is currently on a feeding tube and I am a newly diagnosed diabetic. I will come back to it of course but too much going on right now so I do look forward to using it again. Make some good food for me!
Lora

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lee Mounger" <lmoun...@comcast.net>
To: "cooking in the dark" <cookinginthedark@acbradio.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:32 PM
Subject: [CnD] Deep Fryers

Hi Listers,

Having become relatively decent at other types of cooking, I've decided to spread my wings and learn to fry, <grin>. Since there are about a million deep fryers on the market, I'd like to know what listers are using. I'd like to know what types you're using, how you mark controls, etc. I don't mind spending a little money for a really good, reasonably priced unit. I'm getting concerned because my grease level is dropping and my joints are becoming unlubricated, <grin>. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lee Mounger