Are there good cutting utensils for cutting...i.e.. choppers etc?
----- Original Message -----
From: "Cheryl Osborn" <chapalache...@gmail.com>
To: <cookinginthedark@acbradio.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:31 AM
Subject: Re: [CnD] GOOD KNIFE SKILLS AND SAFETY.

I too believe that good knife skills are important.  I have a little
different technique for holding a large chef's knife.  I like to put
my pointer finger on the top side of the blade.  I also keep the
fingertips of my other hand curled under and safely tucked away.

When cutting something hard like a carrot, I use a vegetable peeler to
trim a little off on one side of the carrot so that the carrot doesn't
roll around while being sliced.

When slicing cellery, I slice down and then push the knife forward to
ensure that any of the stringyness will also be cut.

When coreing an apple, I sit the apple on it's bottom end, opposite
the stem end, then slice down one side just enough to avoid the core.
I turn the apple a quarter turn and repeat this for the other three
sides.  You end up with a core that has four flat sides.

When cutting up an onion, I slice off the ends first.  Then, I can
easily grasp the peel and pull it off.  Next, I place the onion on
it's flattest end and slice it in half.  I take one half and lay it's
flat side down and begin slicing.  The rest depends upon how small you
need the pieces.

When preparing garlic, I pull off a clove, trim off a very small piece
at each end.  Then, I lay my chef's knife, which has a very wide
blade, over the clove and then use the heel of my other hand to smack
down on the flat of the knife, just enough pressure to break the skin
of the clove.  Now I can easily pull away the skin.

Hope this helps a little.  Of course practice improves your skills.

chapalache...@gmail.com