If you use Duxbury Program to translate the recipes in to braille what will alt 0189 translate as?????
From: "Nicole Massey" <ny...@gypsyheir.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 05, 2011 6:56 PM
To: <cookinginthedark@acbradio.org>
Subject: [CnD] Recipe Formatting Tips (Moderator Approved)

Hey, folks, I've noticed a lot of formats come through here for recipes.
Here are some tips to make things read easier.

First, deleting extra lines of blank space from a recipe when you send it
makes the recipe flow better for a screen reader and makes it easier on
those of us who extract recipes into a standard format. I've just finished processing about fifty recipes from this list in the last three or four days
that I saved since I joined the list, and it took a while, and my most
common task was killing all the extra lines in the messages. Taking a minute or two when you send out a recipe will make things easier to read and easier
on those saving in specific formats.

Second, if you're using a Windows machine here's something neat. (I know
Mac's can do this too, but I don't know the codes)
Hold down your ALT key and, with the number pad lock on, type the following
numbers:
248  ° (If you put an F or C after it Jaws users will even hear it say
Fahrenheit or Celsius after it says the word Degrees)
0188  ¼
0189  ½
0190  ¾

These are much easier to follow when listening to the screen reader and also
make for cleaner files.

Some of you may notice I use some single and two letter abbreviations for
things. This is because I keep all recipes in the old Meal Master format,
using their blind friendly format option. (As far as I know this old DOS
program is the only recipe management program that made an effort to
accommodate us) I post a legend at the end of all messages I send now, but
here are some of the standard abbreviations I use:
c  cup
ea  Each
ts  teaspoon
tb  tablespoon
qt  quart
pt  pint
g  gallon
ds  dash
bn  bunch
cn  can
pk  package
bx  box
sm  small
md  medium
lg  large
oz  ounce
lb  pound
There are others, but these are the ones I can think of now.

One more thing -- it really helps if recipes have serving amounts. Sometimes
I can calculate them based on weights and volume, but it's a lot easier if
they include them. So if you know, please include them -- it makes it a lot
easier to figure out how much needs to be made.

Hope some of this helps folks. Y'all are sending out some really great stuff
here.