Hi Carla, Any of the no-jknead, slow-rise recipes should work well for
you, and the bread is amazing!

Here's the famous recipe that Mark Bitman published a couple years ago
in the New York Times.  Enjoy!
Penny
The Minimalist
The Secret of Great Bread: Let Time Do the Work

By MARK BITTMAN
Published: November 8, 2006 in the New York Times

INNOVATIONS in bread baking are rare. In fact, the 6,000-year-old
process hasn't changed much since Pasteur made the commercial
production of standardized yeast possible in 1859. The introduction of
the gas stove, the electric mixer and the food processor made the
process easier, faster and more reliable.

I'm not counting sliced bread as a positive step, but Jim Lahey's
method may be the greatest thing since.

This story began in late September when Mr. Lahey sent an e-mail
message inviting me to attend a session of a class he was giving at
Sullivan Street Bakery, which he owns, at 533 West 47th Street in
Manhattan. His wording was irresistible: "I'll be teaching a truly
minimalist breadmaking technique that allows people to make excellent
bread at home with very little effort. The method is surprisingly
simple - I think a 4-year-old could master it - and the results are
fantastic."

I set up a time to visit Mr. Lahey, and we baked together, and the
only bad news is that you cannot put your 4-year-old to work producing
bread for you. The method is complicated enough that you would need a
very ambitious 8-year-old. But the results are indeed fantastic.

Mr. Lahey's method is striking on several levels. It requires no
kneading. (Repeat: none.) It uses no special ingredients, equipment or
techniques. It takes very little effort.

It accomplishes all of this by combining a number of unusual though
not unheard of features. Most notable is that you'll need about 24
hours to create a loaf; time does almost all the work. Mr. Lahey's
dough uses very little yeast, a quarter teaspoon (you almost never see
a recipe with less than a teaspoon), and he compensates for this tiny
amount by fermenting the dough very slowly. He mixes a very wet dough,
about 42 percent water, which is at the extreme high end of the range
that professional bakers use to create crisp crust and large,
well-structured crumb, both of which are evident in this loaf.

The dough is so sticky that you couldn't knead it if you wanted to. It
is mixed in less than a minute, then sits in a covered bowl,
undisturbed, for about 18 hours. It is then turned out onto a board
for 15 minutes, quickly shaped (I mean in 30 seconds), and allowed to
rise again, for a couple of hours. Then it's baked. That's it.

I asked Harold McGee, who is an amateur breadmaker and best known as
the author of "On Food and Cooking" (Scribner, 2004), what he thought
of this method. His response: "It makes sense. The long, slow rise
does over hours what intensive kneading does in minutes: it brings the
gluten molecules into side-by-side alignment to maximize their
opportunity to bind to each other and produce a strong, elastic
network. The wetness of the dough is an important piece of this
because the gluten molecules are more mobile in a high proportion of
water, and so can move into alignment easier and faster than if the
dough were stiff."

That's as technical an explanation as I care to have, enough to
validate what I already knew: Mr. Lahey's method is creative and
smart.

But until this point, it's not revolutionary. Mr. McGee said he had
been kneading less and less as the years have gone by, relying on time
to do the work for him. Charles Van Over, author of the authoritative
book on food-processor dough making, "The Best Bread Ever" (Broadway,
1997), long ago taught me to make a very wet dough (the food processor
is great at this) and let it rise slowly. And, as Mr. Lahey himself
notes, "The Egyptians mixed their batches of dough with a hoe."

What makes Mr. Lahey's process revolutionary is the resulting
combination of great crumb, lightness, incredible flavor - long
fermentation gives you that - and an enviable, crackling crust, the
feature of bread that most frequently separates the amateurs from the
pros. My bread has often had thick, hard crusts, not at all bad, but
not the kind that shatter when you bite into them. Producing those has
been a bane of the amateur for years, because it requires getting
moisture onto the bread as the crust develops.

To get that kind of a crust, professionals use steam-injected ovens.
At home I have tried brushing the dough with water (a hassle and
ineffective); spraying it (almost as ineffective and requiring
frequent attention); throwing ice cubes on the floor of the oven (not
good for the oven, and not far from ineffective); and filling a pot
with stones and preheating it, then pouring boiling water over the
stones to create a wet sauna (quite effective but dangerous,
physically challenging and space-consuming). I was discouraged from
using La Cloche, a covered stoneware dish, by my long-standing
disinclination to crowd my kitchen with inessential items that
accomplish only one chore. I was discouraged from buying a $5,000
steam-injected oven by its price.

It turns out there's no need for any of this. Mr. Lahey solves the
problem by putting the dough in a preheated covered pot - a common
one, a heavy one, but nothing fancy. For one loaf he used an old Le
Creuset enameled cast iron pot; for another, a heavy ceramic pot. (I
have used cast iron with great success.) By starting this very wet
dough in a hot, covered pot, Mr. Lahey lets the crust develop in a
moist, enclosed environment. The pot is in effect the oven, and that
oven has plenty of steam in it. Once uncovered, a half-hour later, the
crust has time to harden and brown, still in the pot, and the bread is
done. (Fear not. The dough does not stick to the pot any more than it
would to a preheated bread stone.)

The entire process is incredibly simple, and, in the three weeks I've
been using it, absolutely reliable. Though professional bakers work
with consistent flour, water, yeast and temperatures, and measure by
weight, we amateurs have mostly inconsistent ingredients and measure
by volume, which can make things unpredictable. Mr. Lahey thinks
imprecision isn't much of a handicap and, indeed, his method seems to
iron out the wrinkles: "I encourage a somewhat careless approach," he
says, "and figure this may even be a disappointment to those who
expect something more difficult. The proof is in the loaf."

The loaf is incredible, a fine-bakery quality, European-style boule
that is produced more easily than by any other technique I've used,
and will blow your mind. (It may yet change the industry. Mr. Lahey is
experimenting with using it on a large scale, but although it requires
far less electricity than conventional baking, it takes a lot of space
and time.) It is best made with bread flour, but all-purpose flour
works fine. (I've played with whole-wheat and rye flours, too; the
results are fantastic.)

You or your 8-year-old may hit this perfectly on the first try, or you
may not. Judgment is involved; with practice you'll get it right every
time.

The baking itself is virtually foolproof, so the most important aspect
is patience. Long, slow fermentation is critical. Mr. Lahey puts the
time at 12 to 18 hours, but I have had much greater success at the
longer time. If you are in a hurry, more yeast (three-eighths of a
teaspoon) or a warmer room temperature may move things along, but
really, once you're waiting 12 hours why not wait 18? Similarly, Mr.
Lahey's second rising can take as little as an hour, but two hours, or
even a little longer, works better.

Although even my "failed" loaves were as good as those from most
bakeries, to make the loaf really sensational requires a bit of a
commitment. But with just a little patience, you will be rewarded with
the best no-work bread you have ever made. And that's no small thing.

No-Knead Bread
Adapted from Jim Lahey, Sullivan Street Bakery
Time: About 1 1/2 hours plus 14 to 20 hours' rising

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
1 1/4 teaspoons salt*
Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed.

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups
water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover
bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably
about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly
flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little
more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely
with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

3. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface
or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball.
Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat
bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more
flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise
for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in
size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.

4. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450
degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel,
Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully
remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over
into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K.
Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will
straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then
remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is
beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

Yield: One 1 1/2-pound loaf.

Faster but still No Kneading:
Bread recipe: tweaking, still no kneading

2 goals arose: cut time, add whole grains
By MARK BITTMAN New York Times News Service
Oct. 13, 2008, 5:30PM

When I first wrote about Jim Lahey's no-knead bread almost two years
ago, I could not have predicted its immediate and wild popularity.

How many novices it attracted to bread baking is anyone's guess. But
certainly there were plenty of existing bread bakers who excitedly
tried it, liked it and immediately set about trying to improve it.

I was among them. I wondered how the recipe of Lahey, who owns the
Sullivan Street Bakery in New York, could be made faster (it calls for
14 to 20 hours' rising time) and with a higher percentage of whole
grain.

Improving on its texture and taste, with my limited patience, energy
and equipment, seemed impossible. Besides, I was satisfied with the
consistent results of the original, so why mess around?

Still, there was the issue of time. I like the leisurely pace of
Lahey's bread, but I can't always plan so far ahead. Getting the
start-to-finish time down to a few hours seemed worth a try and,
really, the solution was simple: Use more yeast.

I knew Lahey wouldn't approve of this, because he believes that the
best bread is fermented slowly, with a minimum of yeast. But my
shortcut recipe here, which requires just 4 1/2 hours' rising, if not
quite as good as the original, can be done in an afternoon. I now make
it regularly.

Changing the profile of the bread's ingredients proved a real
challenge. I like a white bread with a shattering crust as much as the
next person, but there are many good reasons to eat real whole-grain
bread at least part of the time. After much experimenting, mess and
disappointment, I found that a real whole-grain bread could indeed be
produced without kneading. The crust has toughness but not the real
crispness that is the trademark of breads containing most or all white
flour.

The process requires a standard loaf pan or the bread will not rise.
The result is wonderful: You can use 100 percent whole grains, you can
vary their percentages all you want (though all-rye bread doesn't rise
much at all) and you can add nongrain flours, sweeteners or dairy
pretty much at will. If the proportions of liquid, solid and yeast
stay the same, the timing and results will be fairly consistent.

I haven't shown this bread to Lahey, who, in fairness, has been
encouraging. It's likely that when he gets around to producing a
whole-grain loaf, it'll be better than mine. But I don't think it
could be easier.

SPEEDY NO-KNEAD BREAD

Time: About 1 hour, plus 4 1/2 hours' resting

3 cups bread flour
1 ( 1/4 -ounce) packet instant yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Oil as needed

Combine flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Add 1 1/2 cups water
and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy. Cover bowl with plastic
wrap. Let dough rest about 4 hours at warm room temperature, about 70
degrees.

Lightly oil a work surface and place dough on it; fold it over on
itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest 30
minutes more.

At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees.
Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or
ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove
pot from oven. Slide your hand under dough and put it into pot, seam
side up. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it
will straighten out as it bakes.

Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another
15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

Makes 1 big loaf.