To my mind, if you brown the sausage before shaping into balls, the balls won't be able to hold their shape, as the meat loses its adhering properties in the browning process.

As for the grease from the meat, if there is a lot during baking, put the baked sausage balls on paper towels to drain; then dump the excess grease from the baking pan.

CB:  The Old Leather Bat

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sandy from OK!" <warren.san...@sbcglobal.net>
To: <cookinginthedark@acbradio.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2011 10:11 AM
Subject: Re: [CnD] Sausage Balls

I am taking a stab in the dark re this question! Can you choos any other
biscuit baking mix other than Bisquick? For some reason, I never had luck
using that product. I
might fix it for Christmas, now, given the option to first brown up the
sausage. I just did not care for the idea of using it unbrowned, and
browning does remove some of that grease!