I need as many people as I can to help my friend out on this one. It would be greatly appreciated! Please do not fill up the list with responces because I know people don't wanna hear about it. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Kris Van Hees" <ae...@alchar.org>

Sent: Monday, January 16, 2012 1:04 AM
Subject: Hi - question for you

Hi,

I was wondering if you might be able to help me out. Back in late summer, I sent out a survey for my doctorate. Things are really coming to a close and
at my preliminary defence one of the commentaries I received was that the
number of respondents was unfortunately quite low. So I am reaching out to everyone again to see if you might still be able to respond by Jan 22nd. It is definitely one of those things were a larger amount of responses will really
help support my doctoral work and accessibility in general.

In the hope that you might be able to find some 20-30 minutes somewhere to
answer the survey, I'm including it below.

Cheers,
Kris

SURVEY

In order to validate (or refute) some of the theories in my doctoral
dissertation I am collecting answers to a short survey about graphical
user interface, and how they are used by people who are totally blind.
I am looking for brief information on how you perceive elements of the
user interface, and what they mean to you.  It would really help me a
lot if you could take a few minutes to answer the short survey and send
me the answers in reply email.

As is common for scientific surveys, I do ask a few questions about
demographics. I have tried my best to limit it to non-intrusive questions.

If you have any concerns with any of the questions (about GUIs or the
demographics) please feel free to email me also.

Thank you so much for your time.  It is very helpful for me, and the
results will be incorporated in my dissertation.  I also intend to make an
electronic version of the dissertation available after completing my
doctorate and I'd be happy to send you a copy when that time comes.

Kris Van Hees

DEMOGRAPHICS
------------
A. Gender:

B. Age:

C. Years of experience with computers:

D. Job (or equivalent):

E. Blind since (if since birth, write 'birth'):

F. Braille, Speech Synthesizer, or Both:

SURVEY
------
1. Briefly explain what a 'window' in a user interface is, from your
  perspective?

2. Briefly explain what a 'button' in a user interface is, from your
  perspective?

3. Briefly explain the 'desktop' of a GUI environment, from your
  perspective?

4. a) Do you find yourself exploring the overall layout and
     content of a user interface before you interact with it?

4. b) If so, what kind of things do you look for?

5. a) Do you find yourself creating a mental image of the user
     interface as your explore it?

5. b) If so, what does that mental image look like from a high
     level perspective (not much detail)?  What are the main
     components of the mental image?

6. a) Do you ever have a sighted person describe the user interface
     for you?

6. b) If so, what kinds of information do you ask for?

6. c) If so, how well do you feel sighted people describe user
     interfaces for you?

6. d) What is your most common complaint about people describing
     user interface to you?

6. e) What stands out with the best descriptions of user interfaces
     that sighted people have given you?

7. Does it help you to know what user interface elements look like
  visually, i.e. as a way to make it easier for you to interact
  with the user interface?

8. a) Are there any user interface elements in graphical user
     interfaces that you have found to be difficult to understand
     in terms of how to interact with them?

8. b) If so, please list the top three difficult elements, and
briefly explain why you felt each was difficult?