From: cookinginthedark-boun...@acbradio.org
[mailto:cookinginthedark-boun...@acbradio.org] On Behalf Of Jean Marcley
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2012 6:46 PM
To: cookinginthedark@acbradio.org
Subject: [CnD] loading a dishwasher

I usually load the bottom part first with plates and silverware.  I put only
the sharp knives like steak knives in point down, everything else I put in
handle down.  I like to keep spoons together, forks, serving spoons, etc.
It's easier to unload.
I feel how the rows of prongs go in the dishwasher and then start putting in
the plates.  I like to keep them in neat rows also to make it easier to
unload.
Then I pull out the top shelf and begin putting glasses in with the top of
the glass facing the bottom of the dishwasher; same for cups and cereal
bols.  Some cooking utensils like slotted spoons, tongs, big stirring
spoons, can lay down on the top shelf.  Anything plastic also goes on this
shelf - like measureing cups and storage containers (make sure they are
dishwasher safe and you have to ask a sighted person).
I like to use premeasured packets probably of dishwasher detergent and I
don't use a softener to prevent spotting.
After a while, you'll get better at it when you use the same dishwasher all
the time.  Do not put wooden utensils or wooden-handled knives in the dw.  I
NEVER put sharp knives in even if they are dw safe so that I don't cut
myself when I am putting the dishes away.
So, there ya go.  Hope this helps.
I use my hands to feel where things go and it takes probably 3 times as long
as for a sighted person.  I don't care.
Jean