From: cookinginthedark-boun...@acbradio.org
[mailto:cookinginthedark-boun...@acbradio.org] On Behalf Of Tom Dickhoner
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 8:40 AM
To: cookinginthedark@acbradio.org
Subject: [CnD] Good Knife Skills

This website certainly has been a help to me. I believe many of the recipes
are way too advanced for me, but that's okay.

As far as the knife is concerned, I make sure that when I am cutting, the
food I want to cut is on a cutting voard. I feel with my fingers where I
want to cut. I hold the knife with my right hand which is my cutting hand.
With the other hand, I hold the vegetable or whatever it is that I want to
cut to keep it from moving too far and to keep it stead on the cutting
board. If the piece is too small I either just cut enough so that I can
break it with my fingers, or I just let it be.

It is a matter of judgement. Cuts happen if your fingers are too close to
the blade or if you try to cut something with no distance between your
fingers and the knife.

As Nicole Massy said, the key is to be slow and to consentrate on what you
are doing. Your risk of nicking yourself or cutting yourself so bad that you
need to go to the emergency room will be slim.

Tom Dickhoner from Cincinnati, Ohio