Wow, the recipe from the Pittsburgh Gazette via Shelburn Farms Stories
looks fabulous!  I made the following recipe during Lent last year,
and it is wonderful.

As I originally copied this, it was confusing, so I have tried to
unscramble it.  See end of recipe for cooking tips.

vegetarian Shepherds pie, serves 6 as written.

Note: Prep will take close to an hour: Garlic takes 45 mins to roast,
potatoes take 25 mins to boil, filling takes 4-5 mins to cook veggies,
an additional 15 mins to simmer, and baking time for the whole pie =
15-20 at 425.

 Ingredients for filling:
1 med onion, sliced into rounds for caramelizing

2 Portabello mushrooms, sliced,
2/3 cup green peas (fresh or frozen preferred),
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed.
3 tbsp butter.
1 1/2 cups red wine
 1 tbsp tomato paste,
 1 tsp dried basil,
 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar.

Ingredients for potatoes:
four large, peeled and quartered,
 1 head garlic,
 2 tbsp butter,
 1/4 cup milk. salt and pepper to taste.
Preparation for potatoes:1. Rub off outermost peel of head of garlic,
 2. Place head in center of 6-in sq of aluminum foil, drizzle olive
oil over top of garlic, wrap garlic and bake for 45 min.
3. remove from oven, open foil, and allow to cool.
4. Boil potatoes for 15-20 min or until tender. Drain.
5. Peel garlic by squeezing the cooled cloves into a bowl.  In large
mixing bowl, puree the garlic with half butter and milk, using hand
blender or mixer.  Add potatoes and remaining butter and milk,  and
mix until smooth.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Preparation for the filling:
 1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
 2. Caramelize onion in skillet, lower heat and add garlic and stir
for about a minute. Add butter and mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes.
 3. Add wine and 1 1/2 cups water (or beef, chicken, or veg stock).
Stir in tomato paste and simmer for about 15 min.
4. Stir in basil and balsamic vinegar, remove from heat.

Assembly of pie:
1. Using your fingers, press mashed potatoes across the bottom and up
the sides of 8 x 12 in. baking dish, spoon mushroom mixture into
baking dish, carefully cover tops with additional mashed potatoes.
2. Bake for 15 min at 425 or until top begins to brown.

A couple of tips on speeding this up, from the woman who doesn't
always have a well-timed meal prep:
1. Use the Cooking in the Dark crockpot recipe to have caramelized
onions already on hand. (I think it is a couple tbsp olive oil, and
about five to six onions which have been sliced into rounds, cooked on
low for six hours--somebody correct me if I'm wrong).  Scoop them into
a freezer bag, take out the necessary portion, and defrost in the
microwave until soft.  If they are oily, maybe cut back on oil in
skillet.
2. To avoid spattering and popping coming from the skillet, thaw
frozen peas (if not using fresh).
3. Boil potatoes and roast garlic while mixing filling. 4. If boiling
potatoes is not your thing, scrub them well,leave them whole,  poke
with a fork, wrap in plastic wrap, and place in microwave.  Microwave
on high power, checking potatoes every five minutes by squeezing with
hand covered in oven mitt. Unwrap, cool slightly, peel, place in bowl,
mash with other ingredients.

Enjoy!
Jamey