Personally, I found the fact that you felt you needed to ask such a
question was offensive.  About what other group of people would you
ask such a question, e.g., Why would a person who is mentally ill need
to learn to cook; why would a wheel chair user need to learn to cook;
why would a cancer patient need to learn to cook?  Really, a vision
teacher, of all people, should be able to answer a question like this
one without soliciting the opinions of visually imapired cooks!

Maybe you should take a look at your "Foundations of Rehabilitation
Teaching" or other textbooks.
Penny