To: <cookinginthedark@acbradio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 6:17 PM
Subject: [CnD] Repost Microwave Oatmeal Cake

Hi, all.

I found this in the list archives. Very cool as I didn't know this list was archived. Recipie originally posted by Cathy Brandt.

Microwave Oatmeal Cake

1 cup quick-cooking oats
1-1/2 cups water
1/2 cup
butter
, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2
eggs
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon
baking
soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon
salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
TOPPING:
1 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup
milk
1/4 cup butter
Dash salt

DIRECTIONS
In a microwave-safe bowl, combine oats and water. Microwave, uncovered, on high for
2-3 minutes or until thickened, stirring once; set aside.
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add eggs; beat well. Beat in vanilla and oat mixture. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to oat mixture and mix well. Pour into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. x 2-in. microwave-safe dish. Shield corners with small triangles of foil.* Microwave, uncovered, at 50% power for 8 minutes. Cook on high for 6 minutes or until when center is touched, cake clings to finger while
area underneath is almost dry. Place on a wire rack.
Combine topping ingredients in a microwave-safe dish; heat, uncovered, on high for 6-7 minutes or until thicken and bubbly, stirring every 2 minutes. Spread over
warm cake.
Yield: 8 servings.
Editor's Note: Shielding with small pieces of foil prevents overcooking of food in the corners of a square or rectangular dish. Secure foil firmly to dish and do not allow it to touch insides of microwave. This recipe was tested in an 850-watt microwave.

Note from me: I did mine in a microwave tube pan in an oven that has a turntable; I don't remember using the foil.

 Lisa Belville
 lisa...@frontier.com
 missktlab1...@frontier.com