Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 2:25 PM
To: cookinginthedark@acbradio.org
Subject: [CnD] classic stuffed cabbage recipe

Hello to the list,

Today I made stuffed cabbage. It’s a recipe that has been passed down in my family for at least three generations. While I was making it I thought about how people down’t make it much anymore because they think it is labor intensive and it is a bit however, I have figured out a few shortcuts that make it worth doing. So, here is my recipe and the instructions.

Classic stuffed cabbage:

1 envelope of lipton onion soup mix,
1 large head of cabbage,
1 egg,
1-1/2 cup of white or converted rice raw,
1 lb. hamburger or ground turkey,
1 large can or bottle of vegetable juice such as V8, 48 oz. or more.

Here is what to do:
If the cabbage has a lot of big leaves that stick out take them off. Wash the cabbage in cold water and if there is a big core at the bottom cut it off so that the cabbage sits flat on your counter.

Put the cabbage in a microwave steamer or a large casserole dish with about a cup of water in the bottom. Put plastic rap over the top if the cabbage sticks up out of your casserole dish.
Microwave on high for 12 minutes and let stand to cool.

Meanwhile, Mix the hamburger, onion soup mix, egg and rice in a bole. It should feel the consistency of meatloaf mix. Next, put your cooled cabbage head on a flat counter and feel for the edge of the first cabbage leave. Roll down the leaf very carefully as though you were rolling down your sock. When you get down as far as the thick core, break the leaf off the core with your hand or a knife if you’d rather. I use my hands. Lay the leaf with the thick part facing you. Now take a bit of the rice mixture in your hand. You want it about the size and shape of a breakfast sausage link. Lay this at the bottom edge of your leaf, the part that is thick. Roll the cabbage leaf over the mixture and tuck in the sides as you would a burrito. Continue to roll till you have a little cabbage roll. Place your roll in a four to five quart slow cooker or a casserole dish like a roaster or a 9x13 baking dish.

repeat this process with the next cabbage leaf till you have used up all your rice and meat mixture. Be sure to place your completed roles in the slow cooker with the seam side down. It is okay to make two layers if necessary but looks nice if you face the second layer cross wise of your bottom layer. If you have any small cabbage leaves left over just put them on top of your rolls.

After all your rolls are made, pour the whole can or bottle of v8 over the top and set your slow cooker to high for four to five hours. If in an oven or electric roaster, cook at 350 for 1-1/2 hours.

I always get a lot of compliments on this dish if I take to a pot luck. Someone always feels it necessary to remark that it is amazing that a blind person can make such a complicated dish. My family loves this . We serve with mashed potatoes and peas and good bread.

I hope I’ve explained the instructions clearly and that your family enjoys this old world favorite as much as mine does.

Peggy