you can buy a double spatula. I at one time could see so I remember how to flip. I also don't crowd my pan.
Betty Emmons
----- Original Message ----- From: "Parham Doustdar via Cookinginthedark" <cookinginthedark@acbradio.org>
To: <cookinginthedark@acbradio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 3:00 AM
Subject: [CnD] Flipping stuff in pans -- how do you do it?

Hi,

Some time ago I asked the members of this list how they turn something like a sausage over in a pan. I have found that rolling the sausage around and feeling for what bits don't feel crispy enough usually does it for me. As you can imagine, I had to work on my skill of feeling things through the end of cooking utensils.

Now, though, I am moving on to (seemingly) more difficult stuff.

How do you efficiently flip flat things in the pan? This includes burgers, nuggets, and so on. And, after you do flip them, how do you keep track of which ones you've flipped and which ones you haven't? In my own experiments, I have found that using a fork with a spatula works nicely as far as the flipping part goes; I use the fork to guide the thing I want to flip onto the spatula, then I lift the spatula slightly and flip it. I then have to double-check to see if that piece is not overlapping anything, and if it is, push it around.

Is there a more efficient way you've found?