I'm just thinking out loud here, but what about draining the liquid into a bowl through a strainer or collander? Would the fat--or most of it--be trapped in the spaces between the holes?

Just my thoughts,

Becky

-----Original Message----- From: Sharon Schauer via Cookinginthedark
Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2014 11:59 AM
To: cookinginthedark@acbradio.org ; Abby Vincent
Subject: Re: [CnD] skimming fat

If you are totally blind as I am, can you swish a slice of bread across the top of the liquid to remove the fat? That's what my Mom used to do. Of course she was sighted and maybe that makes a difference. I've used the bread method and nobody ever said anything. Maybe they were just being nice. I've also made things a day ahead and put the food in the refrigerator and peeled the fat off with clean fingers thinking that method might work the best.I just thought I would mention both methods and see what people thought.

Sent from my iPhone