Hi to all,
I'm pasting my baba ganush file below. The top of the file is the
e-mail message I have saved ever since Henry, who was an absolutely
wonderful man and a frequent contributor of deliciousness to this
list, sent it many years ago. I have added to the file since then, and
I love making baba ganush with very fresh eggplants from our CSA every
summer. Enjoy!
Penny
Hi, Did not get a chance to make dinner Tuesday night. Minor emergency
and spent the evening with Aaron at the emergency room. He is fine,
tried to curl his hair with 120 volts and managed to walk away with
only 12 stitches in his hand from an exploding light bulb. (Grimace)
Anyway, here's what I had planned on doing for the Babaganoush. Slice
the eggplant into slices around a half-inch thick or just under. Mix
together equal parts of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, salt and fresh
pepper to taste. Probably, for a medium sized eggplant, about a
quarter cup each of the vinegar and oil would be enough. Dip the
slices of eggplant into the mixture and coat both sides. I would grill
for about 6 or 7 minutes per side. You could broil for about the same
time if you don't have an outdoor grill. Just won't get that nice
smoky flavor. I do not peel my eggplant, but you can if you desire.
Also, I never salt my eggplant. There are two schools of thought on
that, so you pick the school you want. (Smile) After the eggplant is
cooked and cooled, I slice into about half inch cubes, or smaller.
Next, start putting it all together. I like to toast the cumin, so in
a small pan over a low heat, add about a teaspoon of ground cumin.
Shake the pan around on the burner until you smell the aroma of the
cumin toasting, this should take only about 30 seconds. In a large
enough serving bowl, mix in the toasted cumin, grilled eggplant, about
a third of a cup of plain yogurt, at least a teaspoon of fresh lemon
juice and at least one garlic clove minced or pressed. Taste. Add salt
and fresh pepper as desired, adjust other lemon and garlic to your
liking. I think Babaganoush is kind of ugly as is, so sometimes, will
add red pepper flakes for both looks and a kick. Also, sometimes I
will quarter some black olives and mix them in to. I think this makes
it look a bit better. (Smile) Enjoy with pita or crackers or just
spoon it into your mouth. I like the chunks of eggplant, if you want,
you can mash some to make it more of a paste, or chop more finely. I
don't like it smoothe, so recommend leaving some eggplant chunks in
it.

Henry

Here's the Vegetarian Epicure Version EGGPLANT AND ROASTED GARLIC
PESTO 2 lbs. eggplant (2 medium) 6 cloves roasted garlic* 1 1/2 tsp.
chopped fresh thyme 1 teaspoon cumin seed, toasted and ground 1/2 tsp.
salt, more to taste fresh ground" black pepper 1 Tbs. lemon juice 1
tsp. balsamic vinegar 1 Tbs. olive oil Pierce the eggplants in a few
places with a fork, place them on a baking sheet and roast them in a
400oven for about an hour, or until they are soft and their skins are
darkening. The roasting time will vary with the size and shape of the
eggplants. Allow the eggplants to cool, then slice them open and scoop
the flesh out of the skins. Allow the roasted eggplant to drain in a
colander or sieve for a few minutes, then chop it coarsely. Squeeze
the soft roasted garlic out of its husks and add it to the eggplant,
chopping again to incorporate. Stir in all the remaining ingredients
and taste, then correct the seasoning with more salt or lemon as
needed. Serve cool, with crackers or cucumber slices, and a bowl of
olives. Makes about 1 1/2 cups eggplant pesto. * To roast garlic:
Slice the top off a head of garlic with a very sharp knife, set it
down on a square of aluminum foil and drizzle a little olive oil on
the cut surface. Wrap the foil up around the garlic, crimping the top
to seal. Roast in a 400oven for 45 minutes or until the garlic is
soft. Allow it to cool, then pull apart the cloves and squeeze out the
soft garlic as you need it.

A Microwave Variation
1 medium-sized eggplant, about 1 pound, unpeeled with ends trimmed
1 scallion, green and white parts cut into pieces
1 clove garlic, cut into thirds
3 TBSP. each chopped parsley and cilantro
2 TBSP. lemon juice or more to taste
2 TBSP. olive oil
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
Salt and pepper
Pinch of cayenne

Prick eggplant in several places.  Place in pie plate, and microcook
on high for 5-7 minutes, until eggplant looks deflated and the skin
has turned brownish-black as if it were roasted.

When cool enough to handle, cut the eggplant in half.

Place scallion and garlic in food processor and chop finely.  Add
parsley and cilantro and chop.  Scoop the eggplant flesh into the
processor.  Discard the skin.  Add the lemon juice, olive oil, cumin,
salt and pepper and cayenne.  Puree until smooth.  Taste to see if it
needs more lemon juice or salt.

Baked Pita Chips:
4 pita breads
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp sea salt
Heat the oven to 350F.
Cut the pita breads into small triangles. Lay out on
a baking sheet.
Drizzle the olive oil over the top. Sprinkle a little
paprika and sea salt on to each triangle.
Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes till fragrant
and golden.

Pita Crisps from the Microwave:
1/2 stick butter
1 clove garlic, pressed
2 pita breads
Sesame seeds (or smoked paprika) for sprinkling

Place butter and garlic in measuring cup and microwave on high for
20-30 seconds, until butter is melted.  Set aside.

Put pitas into quarters, then fold each quarter back, separating into
2 layers to make 16 triangles.  Brush eqch triangle with garlic
butter, and sprinkle with sesame seeds or paprika if desired.

Place triangles in single layer on safe plate and microwave on high
for 60-90 seconds.