From: Dark Count via Cookinginthedark [mailto:cookinginthedark@acbradio.org]
Sent: Saturday, April 25, 2015 1:36 PM
To: cookinginthedark@acbradio.org
Subject: [CnD] home made ice cream?

Hello all.
I been debating purchasing an ice cream maker.
The problem is that I normally want ice cream, and then I get a bowl or cup of
it and then the need is out of my system for a long while.
So if I buy a quart most of it will just sit there.

I have seen some cheaper brands of ice cream makers such as Hamilton Beach in
amazon for as low as $24 and change,.
These have a bowl that lives in the freezer to make it easier to make the stuff
with out ice or rock salt.

So while I sit here and ponder trying to decide, is there a way to make home
made ice cream with out a machine?
Vanilla will do, though any other variations you can come up with would be
well... cool.

Here is something a friend was saying they used to do back in the day.

Take a can of evaporated milk (large) and pour it into a plastic bowl.
Put it in the freezer for an hour or so until a little ice starts to form on
the top.

Take it out and get the hand mixer going into the stuff for about 15 minutes.
It will start to rice and thicken to the point of very thick cream.
Mix in about a half cup of sugar and keep beating. (more to taste.) Toss in a
t-spoon of vanilla and mix some more.

This can be poured over jello, or canned fruit etc.

Thanks,

D C