Well, I have a good report about the cookies. I made them and took them to our end of the year choir potluck and everybody liked them and said they looked fine. The dough was very soft so I could shape it nicely but when chilled but when chilled it became quite hard so I could cut it nicely. The cookies did spread some so you have to be sure to put them far enough apart on your cookie sheets. And I will put in a plug for Dale's baking mats. If he still sells them, and you like to make cookies, get them. They are a rubbery type material and you just put them on the cookie sheet. They don't have to be replaced, they are easy to clean, no greasing necessary and no burnt bottoms on your cookies.
Ellen
----- Original Message ----- From: "ellen telker via Cookinginthedark" <cookinginthedark@acbradio.org>
To: <cookinginthedark@acbradio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 8:44 AM
Subject: [CnD] Questions About Slicing Cookies from a Log

Good Morning
The group that maintains the herb garden at our town historical society is having a tea on June 27. At our June 1 meeting we decided what food we would have. The following recipe was delicious and I was asked to make them. I have never made this type of cookie before and I don't know if I can do them. How do you shape a nice log, and how do you get uniform slices that are not lopsided? Thank you for any help? I want to make them this week so that I can tell my friend if I will be able to do them.

Rosemary Parmesan Shortbread -yield about 2 and 1/2 dozen

2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves ( or about 1 teaspoon dried)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine at room temperature
1 teaspoon water if needed  (I didn't)

Here's how I made it:

1. Cream the butter and sugar.
2.  Add rosemary and cheese.  Mix well.
3. Sift flour and salt together and add to the above in batches, stirring after each. 4. The dough should be soft and hold together when squeezed with your hand. If not, add the water and work it in until combined. 5. Spread a large sheet of plastic wrap on a work surface and transfer the dough onto it. Using the plastic wrap as a guide, form the dough into a loose log along 1 edge of the long side of the sheet. Roll the dough log, twisting the plastic gathered at the ends in opposite directions until the log is tight and compact about 2 and 1/2 inches in diameter. (Mine wasn't exactly round.)
6. Chill in the refrigerator about 1 hour.  ( I left it overnight.)
7. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. (I used aluminum foil) Not buttered. 8. Slice the dough log into 1/3 inch slices and arrange on the sheets about 1 inch apart.
9.  Bake until the edges are just beginning to brown, 12 to 14 minutes.
10. Cool on the sheets for 5 minutes and then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
11.  Store in airtight container at room temperature until ready to serve.

If this doesn't work out let me know. I can make the dough and freeze it until time to bake it. Ardienne